- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas
- Chopped cilantro, warm naan and steamed rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the ground meat and cook over high heat, stirring to break up the lumps, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the potato, broth, coconut milk and the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon, lightly crush some of the potato. Add the peas and cook just until heated through. Serve in bowls with cilantro, naan and rice.
The curry can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Concentrated, fruit-forward Malbec.