Kansas City-Style Barbecue Sauce
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 quart
Paul Kirk, a native of Kansas City, Kansas, jokes that this sauce reflects the style of his hometown "because I said so." But it also has the characteristic tomato base of Kansas City's classic sauces, unlike the vinegar-based sauces of the Carolinas.
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.