- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise
- 1 small celery rib, halved
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups dried kamut berries
- 1 small onion, halved
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 10 strawberries, quartered
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
How to make this recipe
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a small bowl. Using kitchen twine, tie the vanilla bean, carrot and celery halves together. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the kamut and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until toasted, 1 minute. Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the vegetable bundle and onion halves. Cover partially and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the kamut is just tender, about 1 hour. Drain the kamut and discard the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, finely grate the zest of 1 orange into the bowl with the vanilla seeds. Add the shallot and lemon juice. Using a knife, remove the peel and white pith from both oranges. Cut in between the membranes to release the sections into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the small bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 5 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the kamut to the orange sections in the large bowl. Stir in the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the strawberries and spinach and serve.
Photo © Kate Mathis Published April 2012