Kale Salad with Chicken
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
“Kale salads are great with a dressing that relies on cured fish, like anchovies or the salted oysters I make, which I call ‘oy-chovies,’” says chef Spike Gjerde.
- Four 4-by- 1/2-inch slices peasant bread
- 2 garlic cloves—1 peeled, 1 minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 ounce)
- 4 anchovies, minced
- 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound Tuscan kale—stems trimmed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- Two 3-ounce jars cocktail onions, drained and halved
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes, until crisp. Rub the hot toast with the peeled garlic clove, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese and bake for 10 minutes longer, until the cheese browns. Let cool, then break into 1-inch croutons.
- In a small bowl, whisk the anchovies, minced garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Whisk in the oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with 6 tablespoons of the dressing. Let stand for 3 minutes. Add the onions, chicken, croutons and remaining dressing. Toss and serve.
Fresh, zesty California Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.