- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces ricotta salata cheese, coarsely grated (3/4 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, preferably Tuscan (6 ounces)—stemmed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 8 marinated alici (white anchovies), drained
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderately low heat, stirring them frequently, until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
In a medium bowl, combine the shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and crushed red pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the ricotta salata and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the kale with half of the vinaigrette; add more vinaigrette if desired. Transfer half of the kale to a serving platter and scatter with 2 tablespoons of the remaining ricotta salata. Top with 4 anchovies and half of the toasted pine nuts. Repeat with the remaining kale, ricotta salata, anchovies and pine nuts and serve.
Lively, citrusy northern Italian Pinot Grigio.