Kale Caesar with Rye Croutons and Farro
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This reimagined Caesar salad substitutes kale for romaine, rye bread for the croutons and tofu for raw egg in the garlicky dressing.
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup farro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-inch-thick slice of rye bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves shredded
- 8 ounces red or green kale, stems discarded and leaves torn
- 6 ounces silken tofu, drained
- 5 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, then transfer the farro to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the rye bread and cook over moderate heat until crisp and golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss all of the kale. In a food processor, puree the tofu, anchovies, garlic and mustard. With the machine on, drizzle in the grapeseed oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese and puree. Season with salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the kale and toss; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter or plates. Top with the farro, rye croutons and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and serve.
Fresh, citrusy Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.