- Canola oil, for frying
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 1/4 pounds curly kale, stemmed and chopped (10 cups)
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the chickpeas and fry over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to paper towels to drain. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, mustard, garlic and the 1/4 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add the kale and toss to coat. Add the fried chickpeas and toss again. Top with shredded Parmesan and serve.
Citrusy, medium-bodied Spanish white, like Verdejo.