- 3/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 pounds flanken-style beef short ribs (sliced 1/3 inch thick across the bones)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and cut crosswise into thirds
- Charred Okra Relish, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, puree the vinegar with the olive oil, sambal, fish sauce and garlic. Transfer 1/2 cup of the kalbi marinade to a bowl. On a large baking sheet, brush the ribs with the remaining marinade and let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in the processor, pulse the butter until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the reserved 1/2 cup of kalbi marinade. Scrape the kalbi butter into the bowl.
Light a grill. Brush the corn with kalbi butter and grill over moderately high heat, turning and brushing with more butter, until lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large platter.
Season the ribs lightly with salt and grill over high heat, turning once, until nearly cooked through and lightly charred, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the platter and serve with the okra relish.
These charred ribs are best with a dark, malty brown ale.