Kaffir Lime Custards
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 2 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 8
This dreamy custard is supersilky and astonishingly simple to make. The secret: It firms up in a couple of hours with lime juice instead of the usual eggs or gelatin.
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (see Note)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sweetened whipped cream, quartered lychees, chopped mint and sea salt, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream with the sugar and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cream is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk the lime juice into the hot cream. Strain the cream through a fine sieve set over a measuring cup. Stir in the lime zest and salt. Pour the cream into eight 6-ounce glasses and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until chilled and set. Top the custards with whipped cream, garnish with lychees, mint and sea salt and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.