- 1 pound center-cut salmon fillet with skin, cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 10 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup vodka
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and the granulated sugar with the dill, juniper berries and white pepper. Coat the salmon with the sugar mixture and drizzle with the vodka. Sandwich the salmon, flesh to flesh, and wrap in the plastic. Set a plate on the salmon and weight it down with a heavy can. Refrigerate for 48 hours.
- Line a shallow baking dish with plastic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang all around. Lay the salmon, skin side down, in the baking dish.
- Scrape the seasonings off the salmon. Rinse the fillets under cold running water and pat dry. Transfer to a cutting board. Holding a knife horizontally against a fillet, thinly slice the gravlax and serve.
Make AheadOnce rinsed and dried, the cured gravlax can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.