Buttery Mushroom and Spinach Toasts
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Serve these hearty toasts with a tomato salad for a quick lunch or light supper.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups baby spinach (3 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 1/2-inch thick slices rustic white bread, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until browned and tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Add the butter and water and swirl the pan until a buttery sauce forms. Remove from the heat and season generously with salt and pepper. Set the toast on plates, spoon the mushrooms and spinach on top and serve.