Brown Rice with Nuts, Dates and Mint
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To give this rice dish added richness, stir in the juices from a roasted chicken.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 8 pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons blanched hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 50 minutes. Add the dates, cover and remove from the heat. Let and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the almonds and hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes, until light golden and fragrant. Let the nuts cool, then coarsely chop them with the pistachios.
- Gently fold the chopped nuts, butter, parsley, mint, lemon juice and lemon zest into the rice. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.