- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thickly sliced
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, butterflied in their shells (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Yellow rice and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the olive oil over moderate heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until nearly cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the water and cook just until evaporated. Add the cilantro leaves and butter to the skillet and stir to coat. Transfer the shrimp and mushrooms to a platter and garnish with the sliced garlic. Serve the shrimp with yellow rice and lime wedges.
If you can't get pre-butterflied shrimp, use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut down the back of each shrimp, leaving the shells intact.
Fresh, citrusy Sauvignon Blanc, such as one from Chile.