Falafel with Roasted Tomato and Yogurt Sauce
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Roasting tomatoes makes them extra sweet and concentrated—a delicious addition to a tangy yogurt sauce.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Greek-style full-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
For the falafel
- One 14-ounce can of chickpeas—drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 serrano chile, chopped
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, halved and warmed
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the thyme, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread the tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, until sizzling and beginning brown. Return the tomatoes to the bowl. Stir in the yogurt, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 360° over moderately high heat. In a food processor, combine the chick peas, serrano chile, panko, mint, cumin, coriander, fennel and salt. Process until the mixture is crumbly and no whole chick peas remain, about 30 seconds. Add the egg, olive oil and water and process until the mixture starts to form large clumps, about 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a 1-inch scoop, form tightly packed falafel balls and place them on the baking sheet; you should have about 20 falafel balls. Fry the falafel, 4 at a time, in the hot oil until they are browned all over, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Stuff each pita half with 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage and 2 to 3 falafel balls. Top with the roasted tomato—yogurt sauce and serve with hot sauce.