- 1 head of garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 pound fresh or thawed frozen pizza dough, cut into 2 pieces
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
How to make this recipe
Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
In a pie dish, toss the garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly, then squeeze the softened garlic cloves into a mini food processor. Increase the oven temperature to 550° and allow at least 20 minutes for the stone to come to temperature.
In a small skillet, cook the anchovies in the remaining oil over moderate heat until they are nearly dissolved, about 1 minute. Scrape the oil into the processor, add the oregano and crushed red pepper and process to a paste.
Wipe out the skillet. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the fat is rendered but the bacon is not browned, about 2 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
On a lightly floured surface, stretch 1 piece of the pizza dough out to a 14-inch round. Transfer the dough to a floured pizza peel. Spread half of the roasted-garlic paste all over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with half of the bacon, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake until bubbling and golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a work surface and top with half of the arugula. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.