- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 12 ounces collard greens, stems discarded and leaves finely shredded (6 cups)
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, finely shredded (4 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Four 6-ounce skin-on trout fillets, pinbones removed
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Make the collard slaw In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. Whisk until smooth. Add the collards, cabbage, celery and dill, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Make the jerk trout In a small bowl, mix all of the seasonings. Rub the trout all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the spice rub over the flesh side of the trout, patting gently to help it adhere.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add 2 trout fillets, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Flip the fish and cook over moderate heat until golden and just cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to plates. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil and trout fillets. Serve with the collard slaw.
The spice rub can be stored at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Wine: Lush but vibrant Chardonnay.