- 1 whole dried habanero chile, stemmed and crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 pound small brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (from 1 head)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium skillet, combine the habanero, allspice, coriander, peppercorns and cloves and toast over low heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then transfer to a spice grinder. Add the thyme, ginger and nutmeg and grind to a powder.
- Heat a roasting pan over high heat. Add the oil and chickpeas and cook until browned and slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the brussels sprouts and cauliflower, season with salt and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the vegetables for about 15 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture and serve right away.
The spice blend can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.