- ACTIVE: 05 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 05 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Jamaicans love this sweet-and-spicy rub on both chicken and meat. Our rub is a little less fiery than the traditional version, but if you"d like to kick the heat up a notch, just add more cayenne pepper.
Plus: More Chicken Recipes and Tips
- 3 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4 whole chicken legs
- In a food processor or blender, puree all the ingredients except the chicken legs. Put the chicken in a large roasting pan and coat with the pureed mixture. Let the chicken marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450°. Cook the chicken legs in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the legs over and cook until just done, about 15 minutes longer.
The strong flavors in this recipe will be best with a refreshing wine that combines low alcohol and good acidity. Try a slightly chilled Beaujolais from France. Or open a cold bottle of a light-bodied beer.