- 3 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4 whole chicken legs
- In a food processor or blender, puree all the ingredients except the chicken legs. Put the chicken in a large roasting pan and coat with the pureed mixture. Let the chicken marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450°. Cook the chicken legs in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the legs over and cook until just done, about 15 minutes longer.
Test-Kitchen Tip The longer you can marinate the chicken legs, the more the flavor will penetrate the meat. We've suggested thirty minutes, but you can marinate the chicken for up to twenty-four hours.
Corn bread, rice and beans (or just plain rice), or corn on the cob would all taste great with this highly spiced chicken. Fried plantains are another appropriate accompaniment.
The strong flavors in this recipe will be best with a refreshing wine that combines low alcohol and good acidity. Try a slightly chilled Beaujolais from France. Or open a cold bottle of a light-bodied beer.