Jean-Georges's Grilled Burgers with Asian Pickles
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN Plus 4 hr pickling
- SERVINGS: 4
At J&G Grill at Park City's new St. Regis Deer Crest Resort, superchef Jean-Georges Vongerichten gives his phenomenal burgers fun Asian touches, like a Russian dressing flavored with miso and the zippy hot sauce Sriracha, and crunchy pickles made with a rice-vinegar brine.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 Thai green chile, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small seedless cucumber, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chile sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck, formed into four 1 1/2-inch-thick patties
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls, toasted
- 4 large Boston lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of beefsteak tomato
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, salt and chile to a boil. Remove from the heat and let cool. Add the lime juice and pour the brine over the cucumber slices. Press the cucumber slices down into the liquid with a small plate and place a can on the plate; let stand at room temperature for 4 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the ketchup with the mayonnaise, cornichons, shallots, vinegar, miso and Sriracha and season with salt.
- Light a grill. Season the patties with salt and black pepper and grill over high heat, turning once, until the burgers are charred outside and medium-rare within, about 6 minutes.
- Spread the Russian dressing on the rolls and cover with the lettuce and tomatoes. Top with the burgers and pickles; serve.
Deer Crest wine director Paul Fried likes to pair this burger with a rich, cherry-inflected Syrah from Chile or the robust, malt-rich Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA from Salt Lake City.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.