- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- Two 1 1/4-pound live lobsters
- 2 minneola tangelos or navel oranges
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 large basil leaves, finely shredded
- 8 cups mixed hearty greens, such as frisée, radicchio, mizuna, spinach and Belgian endive
How to make this recipe
- Fill a large stockpot with 2 inches of water, add the salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Put the lobsters in the boiling water, head first, and cook until they start to turn red, about 4 minutes. Transfer the lobsters to a bowl to cool.
- Remove the meat from the lobster knuckles and claws; keep the claw meat in one piece if possible. Twist the tails off the bodies. Split the tails lengthwise and remove the tail meat. Pull out and discard the black intestinal vein. Cut each tail half into 3 pieces. Transfer the meat to a bowl.
- Cut the zest from 1 tangelo into a fine julienne. Peel both tangelos and, working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Squeeze the membranes to extract the juice; measure out 1/4 cup of juice and set aside.
- Shortly before serving, in a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the lobster, season with pepper and stir until just cooked through; return the lobster to the bowl. Add the shallots and citrus zests to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the tangelo juice, vinegar and basil and season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and toss just until warm, about 1 minute.
- Arrange the greens on plates and garnish with the reserved lobster and tangelo sections. Spoon any remaining dressing on top and serve at once.
Pair with an easy, lightly citrusy Bordeaux Blanc like one from Bouscaut or Talbot.