Jasmine Rice with Carrot Relish
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This quick side dish is a combination of fragrant jasmine rice and a carrot salad. It's topped with a version of the Vietnamese dipping sauce nuoc cham, which flavors the carrots and moistens the rice.
- 2/3 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 Thai chile, minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice and water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 12 minutes. Quickly remove the lid and wipe off any water that clings to it. Immediately recover the rice and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and cover.
- In a bowl, combine the lime juice with the vegetable oil, fish sauce, honey, mint, garlic and chile. Add the carrots and toss to coat with the nuoc cham sauce. Serve the carrot relish on the rice.
Make Ahead The carrot relish can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.