Japanese Spiced Eggplant
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 side-dish servings
- 1 1/2 pounds large Japanese eggplants, cut crosswise 1 inch thick
- Togarashi, for sprinkling (see Note)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Lightly sprinkle the eggplants on both sides with togarashi. In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons each of the canola and sesame oils until shimmering. Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, 4 minutes. Brush the eggplant with the remaining canola and sesame oil. Turn and cook until deeply browned on the bottom and tender. Add the mirin and soy sauce to the skillet. Turn the eggplant and cook until glazed, 1 minute; transfer to a platter, sprinkle with more togarashi and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.