- 2 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms—stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- 5 ounces firm tofu, sliced
- 2 teaspoons unagi sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup shelled edamame
- 5 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup soy bean sprouts
- Kosher salt
- Togarashi and toasted white and black sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- 1 cup large bonito flakes
- 6 shiso leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375º. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms and soy sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
In a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the oils. Press the rice into the skillet, about 1/4 inch thick. Cook over moderately high heat until the bottom is golden, 10 minutes. Top with the tofu in a single layer and drizzle with <em>unagi</em> sauce. Top with the shiitake, edamame, cheese and bean sprouts and season with salt. Sprinkle with <em>togarashi</em> and sesame seeds.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake on the top shelf for 15 minutes, until the top is golden. Slide the pizza onto a platter; top with the bonito, shiso and cilantro and serve.
Sweet-salty unagi sauce is available at Japanese markets.
Citrusy Belgian-style wheat: Hitachino Nest White Ale.