- 1 pound Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups panko flakes
- Oil for frying
- Soy sauce, for dipping
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and water until smooth. Set aside. Place the panko in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 inches of oil to 350° over medium-high heat.
- Dip the eggplant in the flour/water mixture. Shake off excess batter. Roll the coated eggplant in the panko until completely coated.
- Fry the eggplant until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack.
Serve warm with soy sauce for dipping.