- 4 Japanese cucumbers (1 pound), cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pitted and finely chopped umeboshi
- 1/2 teaspoon organic soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lightly packed bonito flakes
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumbers with the salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Gently squeeze out any liquid from the cucumbers and transfer them to a serving bowl. Add the umeboshi and soy sauce and toss to coat. Add the bonito and toss again; serve right away.
Variation: Swap 8 thinly sliced shiso leaves for the umeboshi.