- 3 ounces dried cellophane noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Korean red pepper paste (kochujang)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, cover the noodles with hot water and let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and cover with a damp paper towel.
Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderately high heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes; transfer to a small bowl. In another small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, Korean pepper paste and salt.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots and chives and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes. Add the cellophane noodles and stir-fry for 2 minutes longer. Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the soy sauce mixture and toasted sesame seeds and toss gently to coat the noodles and vegetables. Transfer to bowls and serve.