- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mixture of Jamaican Jardinière Pickles—2 garlic cloves, 2 ginger slices, 1 to 2 Scotch bonnet chile halves, 8 cauliflower florets, 2 carrot sticks, 2 bell pepper strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup pickling liquid from the jar of the Jamaican Jardinière Pickles
- Steamed rice, for serving
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg whites, cornstarch and 2 teaspoons of the soy sauce. Add the chicken and a pinch each of salt and pepper and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pickled garlic and ginger into slivers. Seed the Scotch bonnet chile pickle and finely chop. Cut the remaining pickles into bite-size pieces.
- Set a wok over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and heat until smoking. Add the pickled garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the chicken and stir-fry until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the pickled vegetables and chiles, pickling liquid and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir-fry for 10 seconds to blend. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the sesame oil. Serve at once with steamed rice.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.