- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, minced
- 3 tablespoons Jamaican curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- One 13 1/2-ounce can coconut milk, well shaken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Coarsely chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the Scotch bonnet pepper and the curry powder and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Add the chicken and simmer until it is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Then stir in the vinegar and serve the chicken curry in bowls, garnished with chopped cilantro.
The chicken curry can be made up to 2 days ahead.