- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeños
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter a 12-by-4 1/2 -inch loaf pan. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the jalapeños, red pepper and corn and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Scrape the mixture onto a plate and let cool completely.
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in 1/2 cup of water. Stir in the vegetable oil. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. Add the eggs and the cooked vegetables and beat until just blended.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean; if the top browns too quickly, cover it with foil. Turn the corn bread out onto a rack to cool before slicing.
The corn bread can be wrapped well and frozen for up to 1 week or kept at room temperature for up to 2 days.