- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Tapatio hot sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 pounds chicken wings, split
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- Vegetable oil (or other high flashpoint oil), for frying
- Fresh jalapeños, sliced for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter and then stir in the garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned.
Add minced jalapeños, hot sauce, ketchup and brown sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce for about 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
Rinse the chicken wings and pat them dry. Generously season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Dredge the wings in flour, shaking off any excess flour, and set aside.
In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat the oil to about 375°. Fry the chicken wings in small batches until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Shake off any excess oil and place on paper towels to drain. Continue frying the chicken in batches until all of the wings are cooked.
Toss the wings warm in the jalapeño sauce and serve warm with the fresh jalapeño slices and lime wedges.