J&G Steak Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 3 cups
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 red Thai chile, minced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate (see Note)
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 star anise pod
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup water, at room temperature
- In a small bowl, soak the raisins in the hot water until plumped, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the Thai chile and cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large saucepan, mix the sugar with the molasses and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is melted and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, tamarind concentrate, anchovy, chipotle, thyme and orange zest and cook until a thick paste forms, about 1 minute. Stir in the vinegar, star anise, cloves and the shallot mixture. Add the raisins with their soaking liquid along with the room-temperature water. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced slightly, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and puree until very smooth. Season with salt and let cool completely before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.