- 3/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup black olives, such as Gaeta, Calamata or Niçoise (3 1/2 ounces), pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces snow peas
- Two 6-ounce jars or cans of imported olive oil-packed tuna, drained
- 4 crusty rolls or four 6-inch lengths of baguette, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- In a medium bowl, mix the parsley, black olives, olive oil, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and thyme. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a small pot of boiling salted water, blanch the snow peas for 1 minute, or until they are bright green and just tender. Drain the snow peas and refresh them under cold water, then pat dry. Slice the snow peas lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the olive dressing.
- In a medium bowl, lightly break up the drained tuna with a fork. Add 6 tablespoons of the olive dressing and toss gently.
- Spread the cut sides of the rolls or baguette pieces with the remaining olive dressing. On the bottom halves of the rolls or baguette pieces, arrange the snow peas, followed by the red onion slices, the tomatoes, tuna and sliced eggs. Close the tuna sandwiches and serve.
Even a meal that arrives between two slices of bread deserves to be matched with the right wine. This Italian tuna sandwich merits an equally flavorful Mediterranean bottle. Look for a dry rosé from Sicily with gutsy fruitniness to offset the saltiness of the tuna. Alternatively, look for a Sardinian red with dried-spice character and peppery fruit flavors which meld with the olive, thyme and pepper of the sandwich, while its acidity and firm tannins are a clean counterbalance to the tuna and blackolive dressing.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.