Italian Tuna, Green Olive and Tangerine Salad on Grilled Bread
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
At Frasca in Boulder, Colorado, Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson preserves his own tuna in olive oil to make this terrific tuna salad, brightened with tangerine and green olives and served on garlicky grilled bread.
- 1 medium tangerine
- One 8-ounce jar Italian tuna in olive oil, drained and lightly flaked
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 16 pitted Picholine olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, split lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- Light a grill. Peel the tangerine, removing the white pith. Using a small, sharp knife, cut between the membranes to release the sections onto a plate. Cut the sections into 1/2-inch pieces; discard any seeds.
- In a large bowl, mix the tuna with the tangerine pieces, mayonnaise, chopped olives, chives and shallot and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the cut sides of the baguette with olive oil. Grill over high heat, cut sides down, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Turn them and grill until lightly browned on the second side, about 30 seconds longer. Rub the cut sides of the baguette with the garlic clove. Mound the tuna salad on the grilled baguette, cut into 8 pieces and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.