- 1 medium tangerine
- One 8-ounce jar Italian tuna in olive oil, drained and lightly flaked
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 16 pitted Picholine olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, split lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Peel the tangerine, removing the white pith. Using a small, sharp knife, cut between the membranes to release the sections onto a plate. Cut the sections into 1/2-inch pieces; discard any seeds.
- In a large bowl, mix the tuna with the tangerine pieces, mayonnaise, chopped olives, chives and shallot and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the cut sides of the baguette with olive oil. Grill over high heat, cut sides down, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Turn them and grill until lightly browned on the second side, about 30 seconds longer. Rub the cut sides of the baguette with the garlic clove. Mound the tuna salad on the grilled baguette, cut into 8 pieces and serve.
The tuna salad minus the tangerines can be refrigerated overnight. Fold in the fruit and grill the bread just before serving.