© Con Poulos
Italian Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Mario Batali’s delicious More recipes from Mario Batali
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces (each breast split crosswise)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dry light-bodied red wine, such as Chianti
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and pour off the oil.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the sugar, wine, vinegar, orange juice, capers and almonds and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Boil the pan sauce over high heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet until warmed through. Transfer to a plate, spoon the sauce on top and serve.
Serve WithA salad of bitter greens.