- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large seedless cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausages
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, chopped (8 cups)
- 16 peperoncini—stemmed, seeded and sliced (1 cup)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat a grill pan. In a very large bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, oregano, sugar, garlic powder, red pepper and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Stir in the carrots and cucumber and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the sausages over moderately low heat for about 30 minutes, until charred and cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Toss the sausage with the marinated vegetables, lettuce and peperoncini. Season with salt and black pepper and serve.
Contributed By Jamie Bissonnette Photo © Fredrika Stjarne