- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large seedless cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausages
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, chopped (8 cups)
- 16 peperoncini—stemmed, seeded and sliced (1 cup)
How to make this recipe
Preheat a grill pan. In a very large bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, oregano, sugar, garlic powder, red pepper and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Stir in the carrots and cucumber and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill the sausages over moderately low heat for about 30 minutes, until charred and cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch chunks.
Toss the sausage with the marinated vegetables, lettuce and peperoncini. Season with salt and black pepper and serve.