- One 3-pound chicken, cut into quarters
- 2 white onions, quartered
- 4 large carrots—2 cut into large chunks, 2 cut into fine matchsticks
- 4 celery ribs, cut into large chunks
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 basil sprigs, plus leaves for garnish
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 pound angel hair pasta
- Asian chile oil, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Arrange the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until the skin is lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and any juices to a soup pot. Add the onions, carrot chunks, celery and herb sprigs. Add 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked, about 30 minutes. Using tongs, remove the chicken from the broth and let cool slightly.
- Remove the meat from the bones and pull into shreds; discard the skin. Return the bones to the pot and simmer until the broth is reduced to 8 cups, about 1 1/2 hours. Strain the broth, discard the solids and skim off the fat. Season the broth with salt and keep warm.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with cold water. Add the eggs and cook for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the bowl of cold water for 2 minutes. Crack the shells and peel the eggs.
- Return the water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain and divide the pasta between 6 large soup bowls. Top with the shredded chicken, carrot matchsticks and soft-boiled eggs. Ladle the hot broth on top, garnish with basil leaves and serve, passing chile oil at the table.
Herbal Gavi from Italy.