- 1 large baking potato
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large jalapeño, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick, sturdy pita breads, warmed
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup tahini, at room temperature
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 small dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, cover the potato with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool, then peel the potato and slice it 1/4 inch thick. Season the potato slices with salt.
- Meanwhile, arrange the eggplant slices on a rimmed baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Season with salt and bake for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- In a large bowl, add the cucumber, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro and parsley. Toss with the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off 2 inches from the side of the warm pitas to make openings in the pockets. Gently open the pitas. Spread the hummus on the bottoms and 1 tablespoon of tahini over it. Layer the potato slices, eggplant, egg and cucumber-tomato salad in the pitas, along with some of the salad juices. Top with the pickle slices and serve.
Dry, raspberry-scented rosé.
Contributed By Photo © Johnny Valiant Published July 2012