- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour with the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add the buttermilk and cooled butter and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it 10 times. Shape the dough into a 9-inch round loaf and transfer to a baking sheet. Slash an X about 1/4 inch deep in the top of the bread. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the bread is golden and the bottom sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Transfer the soda bread to a wire rack and let cool completely.
The bread can be made up to 1 day ahead.