- 2 tablespoon unsalted Irish butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium high heat until hot. Stir in the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, stock and water and simmer, covered, until the carrots and potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve drizzled with a little more cream.