Indonesian-Style Shrimp Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This recipe is based on Grace Parisi makes the dish more substantial by adding precooked shrimp; firm tofu would also be delicious.
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 pound cooked large shrimp, shelled and halved lengthwise
- 2 romaine hearts, coarsely shredded
- Chopped scallions, chopped peanuts and cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a blender, combine the peanut butter with the coconut milk, Asian fish sauce, sambal oelek, lime juice and brown sugar and puree until smooth. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Add the shredded carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, shrimp and romaine and toss well. Garnish the salad with scallions, peanuts and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
This salad's sweet-and-spicy sauce gets an extra hit of flavor from a squeeze of lime; similarly, a white wine with a citrusy edge would be delicious alongside it. Rieslings from Australia, which are made in a dry style, are ideal.