- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Four 6- to 8-ounce red snapper fillets, skinned
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat.
- In a small bowl, mash the garlic with the salt and pepper until a paste forms. Rub the snapper fillets with the paste.
- In a saucepan, combine the soy, lemon juice, brown sugar and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Brush a baking sheet with oil. Arrange the fillets on the baking sheet and pour half of the sauce over them. Broil for 8 minutes, or until the fillets are firm to the touch and opaque. Transfer the fish to a platter or plates. Drizzle with the remaining sauce and the melted butter.