Indian-Style Red Velvet Okra and Tomatillos
- SERVINGS: 6
Red Velvet okra is spectacular with its crimson stems and pods and gorgeous yellow blossoms.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3/4 pound Red Velvet okra, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound tomatilloshusked, washed and quartered
- 2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and turmeric and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Add the okra and tomatillos and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, jalapeño, ginger and water, season with salt and simmer over low heat until the okra is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the cilantro and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.