© David Malosh
Indian-Style Mustard Greens
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Cooks in northern pizza.
Video: Sanjeev Kapoor demonstrates a traditional way to make mustard greens
More Greens Recipes
- 1 1/4 pounds mustard greens, stemmed, or broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 pound cleaned spinach
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the mustard greens and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 30 seconds. Drain the greens, transfer to a food processor and puree. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the greens and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer the pureed greens to a bowl.
- Add the garlic, jalapeños and ginger to the food processor and finely chop. Add the onions and finely chop.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic-onion mixture and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the pureed greens and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally; add about 1/4 cup of water if the greens look dry. Season with salt and serve.
Serve WithNaan or makki ki roti.