Indian-Style Grilled Vegetables with Paneer
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
VEGETABLES WITH PANEER
- 4 large yellow cherry tomatoes
- 8 large snowpeas
- 8 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut on the diagonal 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small Spanish onion, quartered lengthwise and layers separated
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 1 large russet potato
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 large broccoli florets
- 4 large cauliflower florets
- Homemade Paneer with Indian Flavors or feta cheese, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Let cool, then coarsely grind. In a blender, combine the tomato juice with the cilantro, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, ginger, sugar, garlic, mustard, ground cumin and salt. Pulse until smooth. Strain the marinade into a large glass baking dish.
- Skewer the cherry tomatoes and add them to the marinade along with the snowpeas, shiitakes, zucchini, onion and bell peppers; toss to coat.
- Cook the potato in boiling water until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel the potato, quarter it lengthwise and add it to the marinade.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the butternut squash, broccoli and cauliflower to the water and cook until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the butternut squash, broccoli and cauliflower to the marinade; toss all of the vegetables until coated. Add the paneer, turning it gently to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Light a charcoal grill or heat a grill pan. Grill the vegetables over medium-high heat, turning, until they are tender and lightly charred all over, 2 to 3 minutes for the tomatoes and snowpeas; 5 to 7 minutes for the potato, butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, onion and zucchini; and 8 to 10 minutes for the bell peppers. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Season the paneer with salt and grill, turning, until lightly charred and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the vegetables and paneer hot or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.