- Two 14-ounce packages firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
In a medium bowl, mash the tofu with a fork until it is in smallish clumps.
Heat the oil in a very large skillet. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the cumin darkens slightly and is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the jalapeños and cook for 30 seconds. Add the onion, season with salt and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the bell pepper and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the tofu, stir once and cook until the liquid is evaporated, about 4 minutes. Fold in the tomatoes and cilantro, season with salt and serve hot.