© David Prince
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HRS Plus up to 6 weeks fermenting
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 quarts
Alex Hozven worked with an herbalist to create an ayurvedic spice blend, designed to improve digestion and balance within the body.
- 4 pounds green cabbage, very thinly sliced on a mandoline or finely shredded in a food processor
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a very large bowl. Squeeze the cabbage to release some liquid. Press a heavy plate on the cabbage to weigh it down and let stand at room temperature, tossing and squeezing the cabbage 4 or 5 more times, until it has released enough liquid to cover, about 4 hours.
- Pour the cabbage and its liquid into a clean ceramic crock or tall glass container. Top the cabbage with a clean plate that just fits inside the crock. Place a glass or ceramic bowl on the plate and put a heavy can in the bowl; the cabbage should be completely submerged in its brine by at least a 1/2 inch. Cover the crock with a clean kitchen towel and set it in a cool, dark place to ferment for about 6 weeks.
- Every 3 days, clean and replace the plate that sits on the cabbage, carefully skimming any foam or mold that forms on the surface of the liquid. Discard the cabbage and its liquid if it's foul-smelling, or if anything brown, moldy or slimy has penetrated below what can easily be scraped off the surface. If too much liquid evaporates before the sauerkraut is sufficiently fermented, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt in 1 cup of spring water and add it to the crock. When the sauerkraut is ready, it should have a light crunch and a bright, pleasantly tangy taste, with an acidity similar to that of a lemon.
Make Ahead The sauerkraut can be refrigerated in its brine in a glass or ceramic jar for up to 6 months. Drain before serving.