Indian-Spiced Chickpea Salad with Yogurt and Herbs
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Jerry Traunfeld, inspired by a trip through India, flavored this creamy chickpea salad with aromatic herbs and Indian spices, among them mustard, cumin and fennel seeds.
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas—rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pour the chickpeas into a large bowl. In a small skillet, heat the peanut oil until shimmering. Add the mustard seeds, partially cover the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until the mustard seeds stop popping, about 1 minute. Add the cumin and fennel seeds and the crushed red pepper and cook until the mixture is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the hot oil and spices over the chickpeas. Stir in the yogurt, lemon juice, sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and mint and salt. Serve the chickpea salad at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.