- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Inspired by the Indian snacks called chaat, this crispy, spicy, salty combination of popcorn and bits of fried serrano chiles and shallots is perfect with cocktails.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 medium shallots, very thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (also sold as black onion seeds)
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Kosher salt
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil. Add the shallots and chiles and fry over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the fried shallots and chiles to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the same pot, cook the curry powder and nigella seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the popcorn kernels and cover. Cook, shaking the pan every 30 seconds, until the kernels have stopped popping, about 8 minutes. Season the popcorn with salt and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle the popcorn with the shallots and chiles and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.