Indian Coconut Fish Curry
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium serrano chiles, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves, preferably fresh (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes, drained
- Pinch of sugar
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 1/4 pounds skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1 1/4-inch chunks
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a mini food processor, combine the shredded coconut, onion, garlic, serrano and ginger with the 1/3 cup coconut milk and process to a paste.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the yellow mustard seeds and curry leaves and cook over moderately high heat until the seeds pop, about 1 minute. Add the coconut paste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the ground fennel, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, cayenne and fenugreek and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of coconut milk and the tamarind paste, water, tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits from the skillet. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the sauce and simmer over moderate heat until just starting to soften, about 1 minute. Season the salmon with salt, add it to the skillet and simmer over moderate heat, stirring gently a few times, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the curry with the cilantro leaves and serve.
Like most curries, this one will pair well with Gewürztraminer. Many of the best American versions come from California's Monterey region.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.